Long COVID-19: Bullshit or Not?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Long COVID-19: Bullshit or Not?

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm curious if any of you feel like you have solid information on the phenomenon known as "long COVID-19"? Wherein, symptoms persist long after the initial symptoms of the virus are gone. If you have experiences, links, or other views please share.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Long COVID-19: Bullshit or Not?

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I have no skin in this game, as I don't know anyone who has had COVID and not recovered within a week or so (and a couple of fatalities that were several orders of magnitude removed from my normal sphere or peeps). But my overall thought on Long Covid is that it's exposed an underlying health deficiency in the people that have it. Be that a pre-existing immune disorder, a total lack of actual nutrition, a total lack of cardiovascular conditioning that would let people ride out the worst of it without digging too deeply into the reserves, ect.

I don't doubt for one second that this has knocked some people's dick in the dirt for a prolonged period of time. I just think there has to be some other factor that has led them to be so susceptible to the extreme recovery time. The fact that getting the vaccine seems to help those with Long COVID recover makes me lean a little more in that direction. Their body just didn't have what it needed to fight the battle.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I’ve got a friend who either has long Covid or maybe chronic Lyme disease. He had Covid in the Fall.

It has knocked his dick.in.the.dirt whatever it is.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I asked a buddy who's a pulmonologist and has been treating COVID folks in and out of the ICU the last year.

"it seems like it's probably a thing, but it's still way too early to really know anything with any reasonable certainty yet. There is talk of setting up specialty clinics for these patients would just be an afternoon of straight near-blind guessing for the MD. Have to start somewhere"
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I've heard a lot of people say their sense of taste and smell took months to recover, but a lot like it because they lose weight from not enjoying food as much.

Dr. Drew got Covid and was sick for like 3 months, even after he'd been past the active infection. He's also early 60s and has metabolic syndrome, hypertension etc. So even though he's fit, he's in the group that tends to struggle.

I've known a bunch of other people who had it and they all said they felt like hell for a day or two, and then started to turn the corner and were good in a week or so. Not something you want, but Bill Maher made a good point that the doom and gloom stories in American media haven't done anyone much good.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I know at least five people in the 20-40 age range that got it and all of them say their lung capacity is diminished, and they notice it when they run, even months later. True even for those who tested positive but didn’t really get sick.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I’ve had a handful of students get it, with minimal aftereffects, but they were slugs anyway.
Don’t believe everything you think.