IrongarmX

IrongarmX

Register
section-icon

Forums

Talk about anything you want!

Welcome To

Trying new things and not getting fat

Forums Training Journals Post your training journals here if you like. Trying new things and not getting fat

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Well, my old training journal had a lot of knowledge in it, but I think the old ways have run their course. They all served their purpose, but now I think its time to do things that make me feel better, both mentally and physically.

I have spent the last year walking a lot, 25-30 miles per week. It sounds weird, but after a year of walking every day, I feel so much better than I have in a very long time. I’ve neglected any regular strength training other than some bodyweight work here and there and I’m okay for it. (But, definitely need to add it back in now.) I’ve cut out alcohol, obsessive calorie/macro  tracking, and heavy lifting/throwing. I’ve been riding a nice horse (not crazy stallion) once a week and am gently taking up surfing/paddleboarding (and have a LOT of conditioning to do). Paddling out for surfing exhausts me so I probably just need to do a lot of swimming as well as get some upper body/core work back into the mix. I don’t actually get a chance to surf very often so I’ll have to rely on non-specific methods to improve my conditioning for that. But hey, I’ve got nothing but time to do that.

I’m at the beach this week so embarassingly bad surfing sessions, walking my dog on wet sand, and lying about is pretty much my agenda every day.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Hey Syaigh!

Enjoying your book, and love that you’re surfing!

Couple good drills for surf conditioning (confirmed via other surfers I’ve trained, plus personal experience) are mountain climbers for pop-ups (shooting for 100+ in 45 seconds) and rows for paddling, especially doing elbows -in and elbows-out variations in the same workout.

The better you get the more fun it becomes 🙂 feel free to ask any surfy questions

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Thanks Bram, will do. Still at that stage where being on the board makes my ribs tender the next day. I am a bit delicate apparently. Just paddled laterally up and down the coast today for about thirty minutes with breaks. I am getting better at being stable on my board, but its a learning curve for sure. 🙂 (I am using my son’s old wavestorm.)

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

That rib thing is super common. Incline bench rows mimic that position and help a little with the comfy factor, but often suck for the same reason of pulverizing the ribs. And a Wavestorm is the best board to learn on. Kick some ass 🙂

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Some more paddling yesterday. Just balancing on this board is a challenge but getting better at maintaining my center of gravity. Long beach walks with my dog so my calves and my ribs are pretty sore. Rough surf today so just going to chill and get back out tomorrow.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Managed to get out one more time before we left the beach. Ribs are super sore today. Did a lot of beach walking with my dog. Need to get back to the weights this week, working on a plan I will actually stick to.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Still walking, just got back to riding yesterday. Did some balancing on the surfboard in the pool yesterday. This is actually a good thing, ie, for me to find my center of gravity and maintain it in still water. Just practiced getting my feet under me, not necessarily standing up. Its good conditioning work, ie, I am not used to doing this and it makes me very out of breath.

Diet-wise, things are going well, eating less and less these days and honestly, I feel better for it. Probably partly my age, I just don’t think I need to eat much any more. I can actually have a rreal soda once a day now without it bothering me or making me gain weight. I like to have a mocktail in the late afternoon, loving the spicy ginger beers.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Today I started cleaning out my closet and my dresser and started throwing away all my competition tshirts and “exercise” clothes. God that felt good. Now, I didn’t throw out all of my exercise clothes, just the ones that I only wore to the gym for “hard core” workouts. I mostly wear capri leggings and a sleeveless shirt when I do anything that doesn’t involve looking like a full-grown adult so I have stuff I can walk and stretch in and do some basic training in. But, got rid of about 30+ highland games, powerlifting, weightlifting tshirts that I thought I might always want for some reason or another, but I never wear anymore. I never actually wore most of them. Now I just have riding pants, hiking pants, biking pants, and walking the dog pants. Also sleeveless shirts that can be worn with pajama pants for extra efficiency when getting up at 5 am to walk the dog.

I’ve decided to permanently end my training practice. I like teaching, I do not like babysitting. I’m doing more online teaching now which pays about the same and still making royalties off my first textbook. Hopefully will complete a second textbook in the next few months. I doubt my recently published book will sell enough copies to do much of anything, especially if I’m not actively marketing it, but I’ll be trying to schedule some talks, etc. and see if I can create some momentum.

I would like to get back to painting. I’m trying to take my writing into a different direction, ie stories not fitness. (Although most of my fitness articles are also stories)

This summer will hopefully be all about riding horses, being a better paddleboarder, being less scared of the ocean, and really working on my hip flexibility. Also, better diet, staying sober, avoiding negative vibes, and supporting my kids.

My weight is at 163.4 lbs. I want to get down to 155 and stay there. I can do it if I pay attention.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Sounds like a fun summer!

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

I hope so!

Went riding yesterday and woke up super early this morning for a crazy dog walk. (Dog is crazy, not the walk.) The humidity has temporarily left us and so it is just amazingly cool and comfortable here. Going to try and go paddleboarding tomorrow at the lake. I think I may bring my surfboard and just practice paddling in flat water. I really need to train that paddle position and build up some stamina for it.

About to host our annual extended family get-together next weekend and I am already feeling the anxiety setting in. Basically, will have about 25 people in my house for three days (only the kids will spend the night, everyone else is in hotels.) I remedy this by planning out everything to the nth degree. I need to be aggressive about my nap schedule to keep the anxiety down. The anxiety is a huge drinking trigger, but it never actually helps for more than the moment. It makes it worse the next day.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Well, my old training journal had a lot of knowledge in it, but I think the old ways have run their course. They all served their purpose, but now I think its time to do things that make me feel better, both mentally and physically. I have spent the last year walking a lot, 25-30 miles per week. It sounds weird, but after a year of walking every day, I feel so much better than I have in a very long time. I’ve neglected any regular strength training other than some bodyweight work here and there and I’m okay for it.

Have been thinking about dropping all resistance training and doing only walking, light jogging, and hiking for some time.  I just don’t have the balls to do it.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Well, my old training journal had a lot of knowledge in it, but I think the old ways have run their course. They all served their purpose, but now I think its time to do things that make me feel better, both mentally and physically. I have spent the last year walking a lot, 25-30 miles per week. It sounds weird, but after a year of walking every day, I feel so much better than I have in a very long time. I’ve neglected any regular strength training other than some bodyweight work here and there and I’m okay for it.

Have been thinking about dropping all resistance training and doing only walking, light jogging, and hiking for some time. I just don’t have the balls to do it.

For a while now my main training has been mountain biking (I say training but it’s more a passion and fun), rucking, yoga and cals. I will TBDL some to keep up strength. It feels good. I love yoga. I think yoga and walking/hiking/rucking with some pulling movements would be great for a lot of people.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

You know, I think that exercise, like diet just changes as we age. We’ve all built a pretty good strength base and I’ll tell you something, I’ve been training strength athletes for over a decade and I’ve actually never seen anyone significantly lose strength they couldn’t regain with focused training in a few months. The main reason they lose strength is through injury. And yes, I’ve coached athletes in their 60’s and 70’s. Its been a year and a half since I’ve lifted heavy and I still have significant traps.

I think the game plan for aging is to do more endurance and flexibility/agility work. Maybe drink from that strength now and then, but it doesn’t take much to remind our nervous systems how to respond. We also need to eat more plants and lean protein.

And Steveo, I’ve done just that for the past year and a half and today, kicked my husbands ass paddleboarding across the lake and he is WAAAAAYYYY more athletic and stronger than I. (My only advantage was 4 years of canoe camp in elementary/middle school).

Anyway, for my training log today: kicked my husbands ass paddleboarding across the lake. Walked my dog 3 miles. Chased said dog around the yard for 30 minutes with intermittent ball throwing. (This was done for fun, not necessity)

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

3 mile dog walk this morning. Went out to ride, but the old girl was lame. Might be some knee arthritis or an irritated fetlock tendon. So no riding for me for a few weeks unless I feel like visiting the stallion. Which I may.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

You know, I think that exercise, like diet just changes as we age. We’ve all built a pretty good strength base and I’ll tell you something, I’ve been training strength athletes for over a decade and I’ve actually never seen anyone significantly lose strength they couldn’t regain with focused training in a few months. The main reason they lose strength is through injury. And yes, I’ve coached athletes in their 60’s and 70’s. Its been a year and a half since I’ve lifted heavy and I still have significant traps. I think the game plan for aging is to do more endurance and flexibility/agility work. Maybe drink from that strength now and then, but it doesn’t take much to remind our nervous systems how to respond. We also need to eat more plants and lean protein. And Steveo, I’ve done just that for the past year and a half and today, kicked my husbands ass paddleboarding across the lake and he is WAAAAAYYYY more athletic and stronger than I. (My only advantage was 4 years of canoe camp in elementary/middle school). Anyway, for my training log today: kicked my husbands ass paddleboarding across the lake. Walked my dog 3 miles. Chased said dog around the yard for 30 minutes with intermittent ball throwing. (This was done for fun, not necessity)

This is exactly what I have come to believe and how I have focused my training over the past few years.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Lots of walking this week and house cleaning. The annual family reunion is this weekend. It will be a challenge to be sober for this. I do a ton of cooking and play referee for a bunch of different personalities, some more offensive than others. By offensive, I mean loud, opinionated, braggarts who take everything personally. You can never tell when its coming, it just happens. Last year, my daughter got chewed out by Aunt Karen (not her name, just her personality) for being her snarky self. Aunt Karen realized very quickly she should not fuck with my cubs. But, I have to be diplomatic because I’m basically the matriarch of all these assholes and 80% of the time they are just fine. Everyone has their own shit to deal with, they don’t always realize that everyone else does as well. So, this year, I told everyone they have to stay in hotels and I’m hosting all the kids here which means I can kick everyone out at 8 or 9 before they all get drunk and start being too honest with each other. 🙂

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Well the weekend went relatively well. My sister was an asshole for no reason as usual. She has this pattern of feeling slighted (because she didnt get her way) and then being grumpy and nasty towards me. Its really bad energy and stresses me out. Unfortunately she is usually so dug in it takes her days to see the truth. I need to just confront her and end it as soon as I see it happening. It just usually takes me by surprise because it is completely irrational and based only on her feelings, not logic or reality.

• More!
      Up
      Down
      GTFO

Okay. Back to lots of dog walking. I put a yoga strap in a drawer in my family room so I have no excuse not to spend a few minutes stretching a couple of times a day. Exept maybe for the fact that me being on the floor signals to my dog that it is wrestlemania time.

Did a bunch of pullups and pushups earlier this week. Pretty sore still, but haven’t lost too much.

Diet is getting better. Have convinced the male children in this house to be more adventurous with plant consumption. Have also convinced husband that vast quantities of meat will not give him the same amount of energy as meat with some carbs. This is important because I am the main cook.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by
        syaigh .

Voices

Replies

Tags

This topic has no tags

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.